Black Garlic, what a wonderful thing. The taste? Out of this world. Complex and earthy, yet unlike fresh garlic, subtle and muted – think of it as garlic’s umami-packed shadow. The taste is sweet and syrupy with hints of balsamic, tamarind and licorice. The texture is similar to that of a dried fruit, soft, chewy and a little melt in your mouth!
Black garlic’s popularity has spread around the world as it has become a sought-after ingredient used in both home-cooking and high-end cuisine.
Black Garlic can be used like you would use regular garlic
Black Garlic is nothing like your regular white/purple garlic, and therefore cannot be used the same. Regular garlic has a well-known pungent flavour, adding sharp enrichment to many dishes. Black Garlic on the other hand has a very subtle and muted flavour that is easily overpowered, therefore by using it as a garnish it will add magical hints and highlights to your dishes.
Black Garlic is fermented garlic
Yes, Black Garlic is a type of aged garlic, however its deeply coloured brown/black colour is a result of a Maillard reaction (caramelization), not fermentation.
Black Garlic gives you garlic breath
Garlic’s notorious odour on the breath has always caused problems. It is said that a 14th century Spanish king decreed that knights who’d eaten garlic had to wait four weeks before appearing at court! If only those knights had access to premium Australian Black Garlic! Thanks to the breakdown of the sharp flavoured enzymes, Black Garlic is mostly odourless and many of those who consume Springmount Fine Foods Black Garlic have noted that there is no lingering smell on the breath, much to partners delight, making black garlic a perfect accompaniment to date night.
“Nothing compares to black garlic,” says Sarah Rich, the co-chef of Rich Table. “The way it’s aged brings out so many rich subtleties. It’s thrilling to taste something so completely unique.”
And with Springmount Fine Foods being one of the leading premium Black Garlic producers in Australia, its easy for you to get some for yourself.
Black Garlic is wonderful for your health
As if Black Garlic wasn’t good enough, it is super good for you too! We all know of the benefits of white garlic, but did you know that Black Garlic is actually better for you? It has double the antioxidants, which protects against cell damage and disease. It is also believed that Black Garlic has benefits for the heart, liver, blood sugar, and brain, as well as its potential anticancer properties.
How do I use Black Garlic?
With such a complex flavour, there is no surprise that its versatility is endless.
· Slice thinly and use on top of salads.
· Blend some cloves with mayo and serve with burgers or chips.
· Pair with cheese such as brie on a cheeseboard.
· Mash some cloves with some soy sauce and chili for an alternative stir-fry sauce.
· Combine cloves with cream cheese and herbs for a tasty dip.
· Puree some cloves with oil to create a paste then smear onto chicken or fish before roasting.
· Dip into melted dark chocolate for a sweet taste sensation
· Mix crushed cloves into a homemade tomato sauce and use with pasta or spread as a sauce base on a pizza.
· Or just pop the delicious cloves straight in your mouth!
Want something more complex?
Here is a list of some of our black garlic recipes for your next night in the kitchen!
· Cucumber, Pomegranate and Black Garlic Salad https://www.springmountfinefoods.com.au/cucumber-black-garlic-salad
· Black Garlic Butter https://www.springmountfinefoods.com.au/black-garlic-butter\
· Black Garlic Brownies https://www.springmountfinefoods.com.au/black-garlic-brownies
· Fig, Pear & Black Garlic Salad https://www.springmountfinefoods.com.au/fig-pear-black-garlic-salad
· Sweet Black Garlic Muffins https://www.springmountfinefoods.com.au/sweet-black-garlic-muffins
· Saffron Arancini with Smoked Salmon & Black Garlic https://www.springmountfinefoods.com.au/saffron-arancini-with-black-garlic
· Slow Cooked Lamb & Black Garlic Share Plate https://www.springmountfinefoods.com.au/slow-cooked-lamb-and-black-garlic
· Black Garlic Choc Chip Cookies https://www.springmountfinefoods.com.au/black-garlic-choc-chip-cookies
So, what are you waiting for?
Buy some Springmount Fine Foods Premium Australian Black Garlic and marvel in the wonder that is Black Garlic.